Subscriber Services
Weather

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The case for a CB

Jimmy Johnson once told me there are three positions that you absolutely look at when selecting a player early in the draft: Quarterback, defensive end, and cornerback.

Remember that two of JJ's best early draft picks were Sam Madison and Pat Surtain, both in the second round. So say what you will about him not knowing offensive talent, but Jimmy had a keen eye for defense.

Let's hope Randy Mueller and Nick Saban have that kind of success drafting a cornerback because Miami needs help in that area. Last season, the Dolphins were 20th in the NFL against the pass. And unlike some pass stats that are deceptive, Miami opponents were not always behind and piling up passing stats as they tried to catch up.

So the Dolphins were legitimately bad at defending the pass in 2006.

That's why three of the four starters who opened the year as starters in the secondary -- Sam Madison, Lance Schulters and Tebucky Jones -- are off the roster now.

The Dolphins added Will Allen, Andre' Goodman, and Renaldo Hill in free agency and all have played corner at some point, although Hill will likely start out at safety. Travis Daniels is about to start his second season after a successful rookie year. And the Dolphins are also going to get Will Poole and unproven Shirdonya Mitchell back from injury.

That's a pretty crowded stable, right?

OK, so what does Miami really have? Allen is a guy the Giants didn't want anymore after Santana Moss abused him last year (Hey, Giants, where was the over-the-top help?). Goodman is considered a good nickel corner but not a guy you want as a starter. And Hill simply would be out of position at corner, which is why Nick Saban intends to try him at safety.

Daniels was fine last year and should continue to improve, but unlike many rookies who make great leaps from their first to second years, Daniels may not bridge such a huge gap because his familiarity with Saban's defense last year helped him avoid mistakes most rookies make. What you got out of Daniels last year was a truer sense of the player he will be in the future compared to most rookies that must learn a system their first year.

I'd be most excited about Poole and Mitchell because both were considered to have great potential. The Dolphins added Mitchell last year knowing he wouldn't play because Saban thought he might have been a second or third-round pick had he not shredded his knee.

Poole showed glimpses of being a good cornerback in the 2004 training camp and at times during that, his rookie season, before blowing out a knee prior to last season.

And while both players have promise, I remind you returning from knee surgery is toughest on a CB and neither performed consistently in the NFL before their injuries.

So, in my mind, the Dolphins have a lot of question marks and no exclamation points at CB.

That's OK because the CB crops is supposedly deep this year. Virginia Tech's Jimmy Williams, Ohio State's Ashton Youboty and (my favorite) Tye Hill of Clemson are all first-round players with, perhaps one of them slipping past the first 12 picks.

I'm not even going to get into which players are projected second rounders because, zzzzz, the Dolphins don't have a pick then.

Third rounders and beyond? Maybe FSU's Antonio Cromartie will slip because of his 2005 left knee injury, maybe Charles Gordon of Kansas will be available despite his good size and good speed. I love Cedric Griffin of Texas because he's 6-feet tall, plays faster than his 4.5 timing, and obviously knows how to win.

Miami's Devin Hester? I don't even consider him a cornerback. In fact, I don't know what I consider him if not a project position player who will return punts and kicks. Kelly Jennings is a better pick if you're looking for a true corner.

Of course this is all subjective, based on what I've been told by people I've spoken with. Disagree? Have a different take? I want to know because I will take your opinions to the experts and see what they say.

16 Comments:

Blogger The Dude said...

Hill and Williams are right there in terms of their value as prospects. Hill is the faster corner (clocking a 4.30 in the 40) but Williams is the taller corner (6-2 as opposed to Hill, 5-9). I’d rate Williams slightly above Hill only because he has ideal NFL size and can play both CB and safety.

But if the Fins opt to pass on either, here are some other later round possibilities:

1.) Danieal Manning (Abilean Christian): Very raw but a play maker with tremendous athleticism.
2.) DeMario Minter (Georgia): Another aggressive athlete with good speed.
3.) Tim Jennings (Georgia): A “Poor Man’s” Tye Hill?
4.) Will Blackmon (BC): An outstanding athlete who played some WR in college.
5.) David Pittman (Northwestern St): A lot of upside and a guy who can also make an impact on Special Teams

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Armando--
thanks for the blog--it is the most in depth (and clearly takes the most effort) of what is out there by the on-line miami papers.
but this is now the 3d post which indicates you don't really know much about the draft. You say "Virginia Tech's Jimmy Williams, Ohio State's Ashton Youboty and (my favorite) Tye Hill of Clemson are all first-round players with, perhaps one of them slipping past the first 12 picks." Come on, the consensus is that all 3 will be available at 16 (with the possible exception of williams), no "perhaps" about it. Then you say "Third rounders and beyond? Maybe FSU's Antonio Cromartie will slip because of his 2005 left knee injury." He's pegged for the 1st round, top of the 2d at worst by all the "experts." The people who read these blogs tend to be draft nerds like me, so stuff like this does not slip by . . .
but again, thanks for the blog!!

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Island Canes said...

Armando, Nick Saban wants Vince Young so bad he was willing to fly to Houston today for additional one on one time with Young and his reps. Now this is either the biggest (and best) smoke screen in the history of the NFL pre-draft hype, or there is something behind this, "smoke on the water."

I can't see how this plays out the Dolphins way however. But stranger things have happened. If the reality of the situation comes to fruition and Young is not there at 16, do not expect a DB other than Michael Huff to be sitting on the Fins board this high. And Saban has already stated he will NOT reach for need.

So we may be looking at Miami trading down to either the middle twenties and picking up an additional 2nd or 3rd rd. pick. Or if WR Chad Jackson is available at #16, pulling the trigger with the gifted receiver from up in Gainesville.

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CC... for a guy who devotes as much time to following the Dolphins as u I would expect fewer mistakes. When is the last time you saw the fish use a split backfield(shotgun excluded)? I know that is nitpicking, so I'll continue. Chad Jackson is only 6'1". Those two inches make a big difference. I heard CJ compared with TO once(by his agent)and that BS has really taken off. Jackson will make his share of plays, but he is nowehere near as physical as TO. That comparison is ridiculous! Armando makes an excellent point about the time it takes to recover from a knee injury. I have never seen a player return to 100% the season following a knee injury(two yrs min). Although both injuries(Poole, Mitchell) happened b4 the start of last season, the jury is still very much out. The Dolphins have two starting wideouts and potential with Campbell, Gibson and Welker. While I agree that it would be wise to adress the wideout position in the draft, the Dolphins need a CB! Personally I think Cromartie is the guy(6'2" 208 4.4 40 44" vert.).
As far as route running, some players neither learn nor care to learn this very underated skill. If forced to choose b/w Jackson & Holmes, I would choose the latter. Most Likely, this will all be a moot point, as both wideouts will probably be gone by #16. Regardless we can all rest easy knowing Saint Nick is in charge. Go Fins!!!

2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe the Herald is allowing this to go on under the auspices of 'factual draft information'. Antonio Cromartie is a nailed on first rounder. And what about Jonathan Joseph, Richard Marshall, coached by Saban's close friend and former colleague Pat Hill, or Tennessee's Jason Allen, who has played FS, but is better suited to corner?

Come on man. You're writing like a 7th rounder.

2:35 AM  
Blogger Armando Salguero said...

I'd be more impressed by cubanculebra if he could indeed kill seven men with a six-shooter.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cc.. u r correct. It takes great intelligence to evaluate a player based on the opinion of his agent "a faster TO". I simply thought that he would not play nearly as physical as TO because I have never seen him man handle a defender the way TO has. Being a UF alum, and watching most every game they have played since '95, I don't think I need "specialized video" to see him do against COLLEGE players what TO did with a damaged wheel in the superbowl (and countless other ocassions). Cromartie is coming off an injury, and it will take him time to return his game to form(on the field). It is in my opinion that you draft the best player available. while I am sure that their will be excellent players drafted below him, AC is talented, and the draft is impossible to predict(no crystal ball). Ricky was out 4 games. After his return, we listened for weeks as coach Saban planned to use both backs together. He did. How did that work out? Or were you too busy talking to pay attention? By the way, how did your crystal ball know that teams will "DEFINITELY have a hard time out scoring us"??? Maybe you just ran through the plays you described using Tecmo Bowl. Hopefully some of your "savvy" game planing will find its way to Saban. Gee, if he had your brains we might have won the whole thing last year.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Armando Salguero said...

Actually, CC, the blog is a big hit. And I see you're nose-deep in it (several times a day) so I must be doing something right.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go get 'em, AS. Don't take no crap from the draftnerds.

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cc... I knew you would hit me back. First of all, other than a limited play selection Tecmo is the greatest game of all time!!! Also, I wasn't trying to call you out, just looking for a little spirited discussion regarding the draft(my favorite time of year). Since you post with Cole all the time I know u r interested. Also I definitley would not mind the Fins taking a WR,LB,DL at 16. Saban put us in an excellent position for this draft, hats off. And yeah, those plays do work in Madden.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AS, love the blog, As a HUGE draft nerd, I love to be able to communicate w/ someone who has a front row view of the team I have lived and died w/ for so many years.

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AS, love the blog, As a HUGE draft nerd, I love to be able to communicate w/ someone who has a front row view of the team I have lived and died w/ for so many years.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Armando Salguero said...

Hey tmft, thanks for the props. My goal here is to represent you. I don't go to Dolphins camp to please myself with good writing or just cash a paycheck. I go to find out stuff to deliver it to fans who breathe, eat, and dream Dolphins football. I do not consider myself an expert on every football subject, but I talk to the people who are and that's what I give you guys. Whatever I can do on the beat, let me know through this forum.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Armando Salguero said...

CC, you indeed set the bar high for me to aim at. I have now made it my professional goal to replace my friend Jason Cole as your personal ambassador of quan. Give me time, my brother, I won't disappoint.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate people who consider themselves a sports writer whne they are as ignorent as people who think that maimi will ever have a good footbal team. You know nothing about the CFL and the long and storied history it has. Then game has surived and helped devolop football players not only into NFL players but gave them a chance not to be dockworkers since the way idiot American collages get dumbasses (you would fit but you dont look athletic) into school with no ability to read or write. The CFL will be around longer than any maimi sports team and will have true fans something you as a shitty columnist will never have.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home