Subscriber Services
Weather

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Jason Allen speaks

What follows is the entire transcript of the Jason Allen conference call with the media today following his selection by the Dolphins in the first round.

Enjoy.

On whether he knew the Dolphins had a lot of interest in him prior to the draft) – “I really didn’t know. I just knew Coach Saban and I had a great relationship together. I worked out for him and I think the workout went really well. I kind of thought it was going to be a toss up.”

(On which teams he thought might draft him) – “Possibly Baltimore…Minnesota or somewhere between picks 13-18.”

(On his relationship with Saban) – “Coach Saban recruited me out of high school. He was the only coach that recruited me to play in the secondary. Everyone else recruited me as an athlete, but he saw the potential in me when I was playing high school football.”

(On why he didn’t choose LSU) – “There were rumors out there that he was going to go to the NFL. I wanted to be with Coach Saban for four years. Hopefully we can be together in Miami throughout his whole career.”

(On his hip injury) – “I’m 100 percent. I’m ready to go. I’ll be ready to go in mini camp. I’m excited to go to. The hip is not an issue. If we had to go today, I’d be ready to go today. I look forward to getting down to Miami and winning a Super Bowl.”

(On if he is a corner or safety) – “Both. Wherever Coach Saban wants to play me, that’s where I’m going to go play this year. Whether it be corner or safety in nickel and dime.”

(On if he played “center field” style safety in college) – “I played quite a bit. I went back in forth. Sometimes I played corner or deep safety out in the middle of the field or sometimes I played up to stop the run. I’ve played a lot of both.”

(On whether he came down to Miami for a workout) – “No, they came to Tennessee to work me out.”

(On if Coach Saban visited his home in Muscle Shoals, Ala. when he recruited him in high school) – “Yes he did. I remember how professional he was. He came in and told me, ‘Jason, I want you to be my safety.’ He was the only coach who recruited me to be a defensive back. Back then, he saw the potential in me at the position.”

(On if it was hard to say no to Coach Saban and not attend LSU) – “It was really hard. There were rumors going around that Coach Saban was going back to the NFL and I wanted him to be around for four years. He’s a defensive back guru and he’s the type of coach that is going to coach the defensive backs every day. I felt he could be one of the coaches that could make me an elite college football player. I just took a little different route going back to the University of Tennessee. But now I’m back in a situation where I’m blessed in Miami I can see Coach Saban every day and he can develop me into an elite NFL defensive back.”

(On the Dolphins plans to try him at different positions in the secondary) – “That’s the perfect scenario for me. That’s what I’m looking forward to doing, moving all over the secondary.”

(On when he moved from running back to defensive back) – “Once I got to Tennessee I knew I was either going to be a wide receiver or defensive back. I was going back-n-forth every day. One day I’d be with the wide outs the next day I’d be with the defensive backs. I was recruited inside between the wide receivers and defensive backs and finally I decided to go with the defensive backs.”

(On whether it was hard to let go of playing running back) – “We’ll never know. I tell the guys at Tennessee all the time, you don’t want to see me run the football, because I can do some damage. I think that helps contribute to my tackling skills, playing the running back position in high school and thinking like a running back would think while I’m playing the safety position.”

(On whether he wanted to play cornerback his senior year) – “Yeah, one of the reasons why I went back to school was because I wanted to prove that I was the best defensive player in the country and the most versatile secondary player. One thing that unique about me is that I’ve played the corner position at a high level. I’ve played the safety position at a high level. A lot of guys are capable of playing both positions in college, but didn’t get to play as much as I did at both positions.”

(On how tempting it was to turn pro after his junior year) – “It was definitely tempting mostly because I had already graduated. I felt like I needed another year of experience so when I came out of school I could compete for a starting job.”

(On how excited his parents are) – “My parents are very excited and it’s just great to have my family and friends here with me.”

(On where he is) – “I’m in Muscle Shoals, Alabama with my family. It’s a gathering of family of friends and my people who have been with me through my career. I guess about 150 people. On my Dad’s side of the family he has 11 siblings and of course I have a bunch of nieces and nephews and cousins here. I have six siblings, so you can imagine the group we have here. We got a hotel and got this big room for family and friends and food served for our guest.”

(On how he felt when he got the phone call that the Dolphins drafted him) – “My heart just fell to the floor. It felt like you got a ton of wait off my back. It was tough for me because I didn’t know how teams felt about me with my hip injury and where I’m going to be at. I was determined to come back better than ever. Coach Saban and Mr. Mueller, they believed in me and I appreciate them believing in me and the type of talent I have and the determination I have to come back.”

(On what are his parents names) – “Cynthia and Edward.”

(On if any of the positions he played are more fun) – “I think once you got to college, it’s just like playing backyard football. I was making tackles from the corner position, making tackles from the safety positions. My junior year I led the SEC in tackles from the safety position and prior to my injury I was leading my team in tackles from the corner position.”

(On whether he plans to participate in the mini camp next week) – “You better believe it. I’m looking forward to it.”

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a WEAK blog!! We just had two picks in the draft and you only give us a copy of Allen's interview. You going to give us something of substance??

11:01 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Damn you guys are brutal!

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The Dolphins also considered trading down but didn't because, Saban said, draft picks offered for next year would count for less than half the proper return for the pick, according to the draft value chart." So, is what you're saying that the Dolphins were only offered picks in next years draft to trade down from 16? If that's the case, why are picks in next year's draft worth less ? Is it that there's expected to be less talent next year, or is it simply because it's too far ahead in the future? Honestly, I think they still should have traded down, even if we only would have gotten extra picks next year. There was a lot of great talent still hanging around in the late first and early second rounds, and I think the Dolphins could have pulled something off without sacrificing too much talent with that pick

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CubanCulebra...

The anonymous is because I didn't want to take the time to 'sign' up. I am just a bit frustrated, and I know he is busy, because I would have liked to see something that was 'ABOUT' the pick. I saw the videos of the pick, I didn't need to read the transcript. It was nice, but a simple "this pick sucked...or this picked was good" would have been nice. I go to Finheaven...a lot of the stuff is uneducated dribble. Amusing, but not very helpful.

Robin Martin

Mando (may I call you that?) good stuff on Harrington.

Do you like the picks??

5:44 PM  
Blogger Armando Salguero said...

Picks next year are typically worth one round less than in the current year. In other words, a second round pick next year is like a third rounder this year. The thinking is a third rounder this year will be more polished, more ready to impact your team than a guy who is coming in new next year. That's the reason the Dolphins once gave away a 2000 first rounder to Carolina to get into the second round in 1999 and took Patrick Surtain with the pick.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home